* Tremendous thanks to all of you who nominated me for the 2011 Sofanaut Awards. I'm very grateful for your support! The final round of voting begins today
, and I'm on the shortlist both for Best Fact Article Contributor (for my "Looking Back at Genre History" segments) and for Best Narrator. If you listen and enjoy StarShipSofa
, I hope you'll take part in this final round of voting. To vote, go here and click on the "2011 Sofanaut Awards" banner on the right.
No registration is necessary. Thanks for participating, and best wishes to all of the nominees!
* I thought this might be of interest to many of my friends: "The Relevance of YA for Adults: The Harry Potter Effect" by Jaym Gates
at the Apex Book Company
* Speaking of young adult literature, it's time for an update of my working list of young adult dystopian novels. There have been a number of new releases and forthcoming titles announced lately. If you have any recommendations or suggestions for me, I'd be most grateful! Thanks so much. (Note: This list has been updated since my last posting. If you follow/bookmark this link
, you'll always be directed to the most recent iteration of this list.)( --Fifty Years of English-Language Young Adult Dystopian Fiction, With Links )( --Secondary Sources Relating to Young Adult Dystopias, A Select Bibliography )
* Last but not least, 'tis the season to revisit a favorite holiday song, Jonathan Coulton's "Chiron Beta Prime":
I just love this..."Well, I don't like it; but I suppose it must be," said I. "When do we start?"
"You are not coming."
"Then you are not going," said I. "I give you my word of honour - and I never broke it in my life - that I will take a cab straight to the police-station and give you away, unless you let me share this adventure with you."
- John Watson and Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton," Arthur Conan Doyle